Madhav Institute of Technology & Science (MITS), Gwalior was established in 1957 by His Highness Sir Jiwaji Rao Scindia, Maharaja, of the erstwhile state of Gwalior under open door policy of Govt. of India. The foundation stone of the institute was laid by the then President Dr. Rajendra Prasad, on 20th October, 1956 and the building was inaugurated by President Dr. S. Radhakrishnan on 11th December, 1964. On the occasion of Golden Jubilee Celebrations of the institute, the president of India, Dr. Pratibha Devi Singh Patil graced the Golden Jubilee Celebrations of the institute as Chief Guest on 30th June, 2008. A postal stamp on MITS was also released on this occasion.
The institute is completing 60 years in 2017 and is celebrating Diamond Jubilee. To commemorate this momentous occasion, a large number of academic events and sports/ literary and other activities will continue for one year.
The institute is affiliated to RGPV, Bhopal but has academic autonomy since 2002 to run courses of its choice. Recently the institute has been granted autonomy by UGC, New Delhi for a period of 6 years w.e.f July 2017. The institute is also accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) for 5 years from September 2017. Many of the programmes are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA).
An Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) was established in December 2016 to evolve mechanism and procedures for measuring, monitoring and evaluating quality for various academic and administrative activities of the institution, for the internalization of quality culture and institutionalization of best practices.
The institute successfully completed the Technical Education Quality Improvement programme (TEQIP-Phase II) of MHRD and received ‘A’ grade in six of the seven performance criterions. Further, the institute is now on board TEQIP-III and is all set to begin working on the twinning agreement signed with the Delhi Technological University (DTU), Delhi.
The institute started its own MODULE Server (Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment) on 15th august 2017 for open source course management system to facilitate E-learning, Evaluation, Test / Quiz Conduction, Uploading Assignments etc
The institute has a lush green environment conscious campus of around 44.6 acres which also includes ‘Madhav-Van’ a small teak wood forest where a large variety of birds can be sighted. The Institute offers 11 Bachelors, 18 Masters and Doctoral Degrees Programmes in Engineering and Technology. The Institute is a recognized Quality Improvement Programme (QIP) Centre for PG and Ph.D programs. The prime objective of the institute is to provide quality technical education at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.There is Study Centre of Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) and Nodal centre of RGPV, Bhopal.
NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning) Local Chapter has been established on 30th Oct 2017 to provide e-learning through on-line Web and Video courses in Engineering, Sciences, Technology among students.
The Institute has state-of-the-art infrastructure encompassing spacious class rooms equipped with power point projectors, well equipped laboratories, three boys hostels, two girls hostels, Play ground, Gymnasium, Dispensary, Bank, ATM, Stationary & Photocopy shop, Canteen, Amul Parlour, Coffee Shop etc.
Central Library currently houses over 1,00,000 books, e-journals from Science Direct, ASME and ASCE under E-Shodh Sindhu & INFLIBNET consortium.
The Institute has a high speed LAN with backbone of optical fiber and manageable switches. The institute is equipped with 100 MBPS leased line from NKN, which is providing high speed 24×7 internet facility in each nook and corner of the Institute.