Government Law College,
Government Law college, Mumbai offers a 3-year degree program, 5-year integrated degree program, diploma, post-graduate diploma and a post-graduate certificate course in Law. The fees charged for 5- year dual degree integrated program is almost INR 32,845/- whereas for 3-year degree course is approximately INR 21,895/- . Placements are organized superbly by Government Law College, Mumbai at top-notch level. Top law firms in Mumbai and outside Mumbai like AZB, SAM, Khaitan, Trilegal and DSK Legal etc. visit the law college campus every year to hire the students in these firms with an average salary package of Rs. 8 LPA to Rs. 15 LPA or even more than that. Many profound advocates like Nishith Desai has also been one of the recruiters at Government Law College, Mumbai. The placement committee is very proactive in the college and a high percentage of students end up getting internships and placements in various prestigious law firms, companies & other organizations all across the nation, by the completion of their course.
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” ― W.B. Yeats
The difference between merely filling the students’ head with education and lighting their spark of knowledge and convert it into a fire of education is adroitly understood by Government Law college, Mumbai. The institute thus works in that direction diligently in order to ignite a spark in every student. This is how Government Law college, Mumbai strives to reach near its aim of producing not just the finest of the legal practitioners but also by nurturing splendiferous academicians, professionals and thinkers in every sphere of society.
Government Law college, Mumbai (GLC MUMBAI) was set up in 1855 and is recognized by the Bar Council of India (BCI). The academic institution has the unique distinction of being the oldest Law College in Asia, dating even prior to the University of Mumbai, and enjoys an illustrious reputation for excellence in the field of legal education and value-added education. What adds onto this pre-eminent reputation of Government Law college, Mumbai is that it has had the privilege of guidance and guardianship under leading inspirations such as Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, Lokmanya Tilak, Sir Motilal Setalvad (first Attorney General of India),Justice M. C. Chagla, Sir Dinshaw Mulla, Mr. Nani Palkhivala, Justice Y. V. Chandrachud and several others who have adorned benches of the Supreme Court of India and High Courts.
Government Law college, Mumbai’s Facts in Brief:-
|· Established in||1855|
|· Total courses||Mainly 6 in one stream (Law)|
|· Approved by|
|Bar Council of India (BCI), New Delhi|
|· Affiliated with||University of Mumbai, Mumbai|
|· Genders accepted||Co-ed|
|· Aid Status||Public College|
Government Law College, Mumbai Contact Details:
Address: Government Law College
‘A’ Road, Churchgate, Mumbai- 400 020
Phone number: 022-2204 1707
Email id: email@example.com
Official Website: http://www.glcmumbai.com/index.html
Course offered by Government Law College, Mumbai:-
Duration = Three Year Under-graduate Degree Course
The curriculum is designed in accordance with the rules laid down by the University of Mumbai and the Bar Council of India (BCI). An LL.B./Bachelor of Laws degree from Government Law College, Mumbai is a professional law degree awarded after completing undergraduate education and the degree is awarded by University of Mumbai after the completion of program. In Latin, the abbreviation LLB stands for Legum Baccalaureus. The professionals can pursue various specializations afterwards such as business law, international law, criminal law etc.
The program at Government Law College, Mumbai is divided into 6 semesters spread over 3 years. Curriculum of the program is designed to include Seminars, Tutorial Work, Industry visits, Moot Courts, Internships and practical Training Programs through interactive sessions. Students can also choose specializations of their interest.Students who desire to study the law from Government Law College, Mumbai, but do not wish to practice as lawyers are eligible for the LL.B. (General) Degree, at the end of the 2nd year i.e. after the 4th semester.
Duration = Five Year Integrated Under-graduate Degree Course
The curriculum is designed by Government Law College, Mumbai in accordance with the rules laid down by the University of Mumbai and the Bar Council of India (BCI).The course is framed in such a manner that it is divided into 3 portions. The pre-law course, the B.L.S. degree and the B.L.S. LL.B. degree. The first and the second year of the five year course, i.e. 1st to 4th semester, is a ‘Pre-Law’ course where basics and fundamentals of the legal system are taught by Government Law College, Mumbai. The students are awarded the B.L.S. (Bachelor of Legal Science) degree at the end of the third year, (i.e. 6th semester) and on completion of five years, (10th semester) the LL.B. degree is conferred by the University of Mumbai.
Postgraduate Diploma Course in Securities Law:
Duration = 1 year
Government Law college, Mumbai offers a one-year Postgraduate Diploma Course in Securities Law acknowledging the burgeoning importance of India’s Capital Market. Also keeping with its pioneering role in Indian Legal Education, it imparts curriculum for the course which is the first of its kind in India and in accordance with the rules laid down by the University of Mumbai and the Bar Council of India (BCI). This course is for legal executives already having basic knowledge of Corporate Laws.
Postgraduate Certificate Course in Human Rights:
Duration = 3 months
Recognizing the importance of such a crucial topic, Government Law College, Mumbai strives through this course, to equip the students with basic knowledge and understanding relating to human rights and provide information on its efficient management and effective enforcement.
The Program also enables participants to effectively apply the principles of human rights at the societal level understanding all the aspects of ground reality. The Course is adequately interspersed by Government Law College, Mumbai, with field visits that exposes participants to a wide range of issues requiring attention as well as to the mechanisms available for the protection of human rights.
Postgraduate Diploma Course in Intellectual Property Rights:
Duration = 1 year
This course at Government Law College, Mumbai is designed beyond the tedious classroom teaching by constantly organizing the case studies and mock court drills alongside theoretical lectures which are also necessary for developing basic understanding of IPR and also the application of it in reality. This is done because IPR is emerging as a critical field of law, for protection of intellectual property in the form of patents, trademarks, copyright or design.
The syllabus involves basic concepts of initial and propelled protected innovation (Intellectual Property) and innovation law, which are regularly updated with the help of various intellectuals and academicians of Government Law College, Mumbai. Postgraduates after this program are hired as Legal Counsellors, Legal Administrators, Legal Experts, Patent and Trademark Attorneys etc.
Diploma in Cyber Law:
Government Law college, Mumbai offers Diploma in Cyber Law in association with the Asian School of Cyber Law:
Acknowledging that Information Technology has pervaded every sphere of human life, it is essential for law students to keep themselves cheek by jowl of the latest developments in this thriving legal field. The curriculum is in accordance with the rules laid down by the University of Mumbai and the Bar Council of India (BCI).
Campus Facilities at Government Law College, Mumbai:
- The campus has a rich heritage and pedigree
- The Government Law College has no hostel of its own but certain seats are provided in other government hostels and several paying guest arrangements in South Mumbai
- 17 classrooms, a Mooting Room, an Auditorium, an audio-visual room and a canteen
- Mini Gymkhana facility
- Debating and Literary Society
- Magazine Committee
- Legal Aid Committee
- A Students’ Council which is the apex students’ body of GLC
- An Alumni Association that acts as a link between the illustrious alumni of GLC and the students and faculty of the college
- Gujarati Mandal which endeavours to promote the Gujarati culture
- Hindi Parishad for promoting the Hindi language
- The Law review committee headed by Dr. Justice D. Y. Chandrachud, Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court
- Leo Club which is a youth organisation of Lions Club International
- MUN Society
- MCA which organizes some of the most prestigious moots in the country
- The Music Circle
- The National Service Scheme, popularly known as NSS
- A proactive Placement Committee
- Rotaract Club which is a unit of the Rotary International
- Sports Committee
- Social Service League
- SPIL for understanding International Relations
- Bazm-e-Urdu to understand the importance of Urdu language
- Library known for its rare collection of books and treatise on various subjects not limited to just law
- Electronic Research Room (ERR) an extended Cabinet of the library which is the Research Room and Computer Centre for students
Faculty and staff of Government Law College, Mumbai:
The College derives its strength and ethos from the highly qualified, talented and dedicated faculty who are easily approachable, and a student can contact them anytime for doubts. Government Law college, Mumbai has privilege of intimate association with prominent knowledgeable legal professionals of distinction as visiting faculty who regularly conduct lectures, workshops and friendly discussions with students despite their hectic schedules and preoccupations.
Government Law college, Mumbai has constantly been ranked as one of the top law schools in India. It is known for training and producing meritorious legal professionals. Every year they also bag laurels Moot court competitions.
Q-1 How many courses are offered by Government Law College, Mumbai?
Ans. Government Law college, Mumbai mainly offers 6 courses in Law, namely:
- L.S. LL.B.
- Postgraduate Diploma Course in Securities Law
- Postgraduate Certificate Course in Human Rights
- Postgraduate Diploma Course in Intellectual Property Rights
- Diploma in Cyber Law
Q-2 What is the detailed eligibility criteria of pursuing B.L.S. LL.B. from Government Law College, Mumbai?
Ans. The detailed eligibility criteria of pursuing B.L.S. LL.B. from Government Law College, Mumbai is:
- The candidate should be an Indian National
- The candidate should have successfully completed Senior Secondary School course(‘+2’) or equivalent from a recognized University of India or outside or from Senior Secondary Board or equivalent, constituted or recognized by the Union or by a State Government or from any equivalent institution from a foreign country recognized by the Government of that country for the purpose of issue of qualifying certificateon successful completion of the Course Examination, with minimum of 45% Marks in aggregate. (SC and ST Category candidates belonging to the State of Maharashtra with valid Caste Certificate from State of Maharashtra with minimum 40% Marks in aggregate);
- The Applicant should have obtained +2 Higher Secondary Pass Certificate or First Degree Certificate after processing studies in distance or correspondence method
- An applicant should has passed the 11th (old Pattern)/ 12th std. Pre Degree Course (Old Pattern) examination from State / Central Boards of schooling or from Open Schooling System/ regular system recognized & established by the Govt. Of the State/India or International Board of School Education, after prosecuting the basic course of studies in the pattern of 1st to 10th standards in Regular mode, at Secondary Schooling is eligible for admission to five year Integrated LL.B. Course.
- The qualifications of 10th, 12th (+2) and Graduation if applicable may be obtained through any mode (distance / correspondence / Open Schooling System).
- Non Zero Score in MAH-LLB-5 2018 CET
Q-3 what is the fees and intake capacity of Postgraduate Certificate Course in Human Rights at Government Law College, Mumbai?
|Duration of Course||Intake capacity||Fee Amount||Course Batch|
|3 Months||60||Rs. 4,500/-||Batch1:July-September 1:July-September|
Batch 2: December-February
Ans. The fees, intake capacity and other details of Postgraduate Certificate Course in Human Rights at Government Law College, Mumbai is:
- You can contact us for any further admission related queries.
- We provide the admission forms of all the private colleges for free.
- We also help you in getting admission to a particular college of your choice.
If you find any inappropriate information or wrongly presented facts, please inform us at:
Email id – firstname.lastname@example.org