Government Law College,
The academic institution offers various law programs with an average fee of INR 10,000 to INR 12,000 only. Govt Law College, Ernakulam opens way through provision of legal education, for a whole range of careers ranging from solicitor and barrister to judge or paralegal. Even outside of the legal industry, a law degree by Govt Law College, Ernakulam can lead to a diversity of career choices such as in journalism, politics, HR, finance and what not.
“It is the lawyers who run our civilization for us — our governments, our business, our private lives. Most legislators are lawyers; they make our laws. Most presidents, governors, commissioners, along with their advisers and brain-trusters are lawyers; they administer our laws. All the judges are lawyers; they interpret and enforce our laws. There is no separation of powers where the lawyers are concerned. There is only a concentration of all government power — in the lawyers.”
-FRED RODELL, Woe Unto You, Lawyers
Such is the importance of legal education in the society. Keeping this very significance, Govt Law College, Ernakulam trains its students to be a skilful workforce in the legal system. The Law College is first Law College in Kerala founded in 1874 in the heart of Metropolitan city Kochi.
Govt Law College, Ernakulam was formerly known as His Highness Maharajas Law College. The academic institution was re organised entirely on a different footing in the year 1894. The law school was raised to the status of an independent college under the designation of His Highness the Maharajah`s Law College, Thiruvananthapuram with W.T.A. .
Govt Law College, Ernakulam’s Facts in Brief:
|· Established in||1874|
|· Affiliated to|
|Mahathma Gandhi University, Kottayam|
|· Genders accepted||Co-ed|
|· Total courses||4 in one stream (law)|
Govt Law College, Ernakulam Contact Details:
- ADDRESS: LAW College
Ernakulam. Kochi-682 011
- PHONE NO.: 0484-2353915 0484-2352020
- FAX: 0484-2353915
- OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://glcekm.com/
Course offered by Govt Law College, Ernakulam:
- 3 YEAR LL.B. Degree Course:
Duration = 6 semesters
Intake = 100
Bachelor Laws, an undergraduate degree in legal studies basically originates from England. Now, it is already being offered in most common law countries as the fundamental law degree. In India, legal education had been generally offered as a 3 years bachelor degree (LL.B.). Since 1987, the academic system in law has been changed. BCI is the authority that regulates the legal practice and legal education in India. It sets the standards for legal education and also grants recognition to law Universities of India.
After completing this course from Govt Law College, Ernakulam, students will be able to find opportunities in various sectors and industries. The average starting salary after placement ranges from INR 4-7 Lacs. The most commonly practiced LL.B. Job Profiles are Lawyer, Legal Advisor, Public Prosecutor, Attorney and Lecturer
- 5 YEAR LL.B. Degree Course:
Duration = 10 semesters
Intake = 80
Legal education has basically been offered as a three-year graduate degree conferring the title of LL.B. (Bachelor of Laws) in India. But the Bar Council of India, the governing body of legal education in India, revamped the legal education system in 1984. The revised system by BCI made way for the five-year program. Therefore, various autonomous law schools were incepted that administer a five-year undergraduate degree program and confer an integrated honours degree (i.e., three-year and five-year integrated honours) recognized for practicing legal profession in India.
A law degree holder from Govt Law College, Ernakulam may approach a Bar Council of any State of India and upon matching significant standards, be enrolled thereby getting a license to practice before any court in India and give legal advice. The entire procedure of enrollment and post-enrollment conduct is regulated and supervised by the Bar Council of India (BCI).
The curriculum of Govt Law College, Ernakulam incorporates Laws of Crimes, Constitutional Laws, Family Law, Environmental Laws, Practical Training etc. to train future legal professionals to be the best acquainted workforce with legal knowledge, both theoretical as well as practical.
- M. (Postgraduate Course in Commercial Law and Criminal Law):
Duration = 4 semesters
Intake = 15
Govt Law College, Ernakulam offers an innovative program for law students willing to join academia, Bar, Bench, Firm or Industry in the form of postgraduate degree in law conferring to LL.M. (Master of Laws). Duration of the course is 2-years. The law school has designed its curriculum in such a way that it includes interactive sessions with acclaimed legal luminaries and industry doyens from all over the world. The curriculum at Govt Law College, Ernakulam is periodically revised and revamped to make sure students are provided with the right blend of classroom lectures, tutorials, weekly discussions, colloquia, interactions with invited guest experts etc. according to the current trends in the legal arena.
After completion of the course from Govt Law College, Ernakulam, an LL.M. graduate will be able to find a plethora of job opportunities in any of the sectors which require legal expertise & knowledge such as Lawyers, Indian Legal Services, Advisors, Solicitor, Legal consultants, Legal Writer etc.
- D. in Law Program:
A PhD in Law at Govt Law College, Ernakulam, is a very serious and significant qualification like all other doctoral programmes. The significance of the program can be traced from the implications and impacts that it has on society in general and also the systems and practices of law in the country. Specializations can be provided in array of domains like cyber law, corporate law etc.
Admission criteria and eligibility for Govt Law College, Ernakulam:
- For LL.B. 5-year program, candidate should have passed intermediate or equivalent from a recognized board with minimum 50%.
- For 3- year LL.B., the student must be having a Bachelors Degree from a recognized university.
- Bachelor of Laws LL.B. /B.L. (5 years) program from any recognized University OR Bachelor of Laws LL.B. /B.L. (3 years) program from any recognized University along with Bachelor’s Degree (not less than 3 years) is needed for LL.M.
- For PhD, Master degree in Law (LLM) with teaching experience is preffered.
- Candidates must have filled an application form.
- Admission to LL.B. and LL.M. Courses are through entrance examinations conducted by the Commissioner for Entrance Examinations, Government of Kerala.
Campus Facilities at Govt Law College, Ernakulam:
- ANTI RAGGING SQUAD & ANTI -RAGGING COMMITTEE – to prevent students in the campus from ragging and abuse
- NATURE CLUB – for creating environmental awareness in the young minds
- MOOT CLUB – to encourage and train to participate in various moot court competitions and providing a forum
- CENTER FOR MEDICAL LAW – Legal system has to take the help of medical professionals in the field of medical forensics mainly, hence the centre. Any trial in a murder case will be incomplete without the post mortem report by a police surgeon
- CRIMINAL LAW CENTRE – to study Criminal Law which is an important, independent branch of public law
- ARTS CLUB – The Club conducts competitions & recruits best talents for the university
- PLACEMENT CELL – to train and arrange for placements to students in various firms from wide range of sectors
- SPORTS CLUB – to conduct sports and Athletics meet every year in the campus
- CLGPS – Centre for Law Governance and Policy Studies
- ADR CLUB – to train and motivate students to participate in ADR Mechanisms
- LEGAL AID CELL & JUSTICE CLUB- to train and motivate students to participate in solving practical legal issues
- STUDENTS GRIEVANCE REDRESSAL CELL – to address the grievance of the students
- ANTI SEXUAL HARASSMENT COMMITEE – to prevent sexual harassment in the campus
Faculty and staff of Govt Law College, Ernakulam:
The staff of Govt Law College, Ernakulam, both faculty and the office staff, is the best in the law fraternity. Almost all of them are highly knowledgeable and renowned having international teaching standards. The professors are approachable and always ready to take doubts of each student.
The course curriculum at Govt Law College, Ernakulam could be a bit hectic but is unique involving a distinct pedagogy. Presentations, assignment, dissertations and seminars are the most significant part of the curriculum. Moot court is compulsory for the practical knowledge and holistic development of each student.
Quality education at such low fees is provided only at law schools like Govt Law College, Ernakulam which not only trains students to get the best available placements, but also imbibes their minds with global standard of knowledge regarding legal matters.
About Admission Advice:
- You can contact us for any further admission related queries.
- We provide the admission forms of all the private colleges for free.
- We also help you in getting admission to a particular college of your choice.
If you find any inappropriate information or wrongly presented facts, please inform us at:
Email id – firstname.lastname@example.org