Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University (IMS-BHU), Varanasi
ABOUT Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh:
Institute of Medical Science, Varanasi is one of the oldest and renowned government medical colleges located in the Vedic city of Uttar Pradesh i.e. Varanasi. The Institute of Medical Science, Varanasi was established in the year 1920 as one of the first Ayurvedic institute but was recognized as Medical College in the year 1960. The Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi is affiliated to Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi and comes under the direct control of Ministry of Human Resource and Development, Government of India. The Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi has three basic functions i.e. to teach the students with best possible technology and methodology, to keep on doing the medical research work, to provide medical facilities to the patient who came at the hospital. The Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi has three faculties namely Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dental Sciences and Faculty of Ayurveda
The College has a hospital named as Sir Sunder Lal Hospital to provide medical facility to the population of around 20 Crore from the nearby areas of Western Bihar, parts of Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and our neighbouring country Nepal. Sir Sunder Lal Hospital also acts as the main referral hospital for various PSU’s like NTPC, Diesel Locomotive Works, etc. The emergency facility is provided 24X7. There are 1200 bed in the hospital with all the modern facilities, equipments and technology. There are 51 wards and 22 Major/Minor operation theatres. There are around 13 medical clinics to deal with the people with certain clinical conditions. The hospital also has Intensive care Unit to provide help at the time of medical emergencies. The hospital resided at the institute also has a 24X7 blood bank. There is 24X7 Ambulance facility to bring in the patient in emergency conditions. There is one central Pathology lab used to provide medical tests like blood tests, Urine Tests, etc. There is also availability of different diagnostics available like- Ultrasound, Color Doppler, X rays, etc. The Hospital is considered to be the “AIIMS of Eastern Uttar Pradesh”
Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, Varanasi Facts in brief:
|Established under||Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi|
|Total courses||MBBS, PG (MD, MS), DM, M.Ch., B. Sc. Nursing|
|Medical Council of India|
|Affiliated with||Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi|
|Aid Status||Government College|
|Category||MBBS/Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh|
Address of Institute of Medical Science, Varanasi
Institute of Medical Sciences
Banaras Hindu University
Contact No: 0524 2367568, 2369980
Email: [email protected]
Undergraduate courses at Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi:
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery:-
The MBBS is a 5.6 yeas (4.6 years academic education + 1 year obligatory internship) UG degree programme leading to the two degrees as Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery known as MBBS. The MBBS is a course that can be opted by a person who desires to be a doctor and have 12th with Science Background. The students, who have cleared the Senior Secondary (12th Class) examination and they had (P.C.B.) i.e. Physics, Chemistry and Biology in 12th standard, can apply for the MBBS degree course.
The MBBS is the one and the only course in India to become a medical practitioner. The MBBS course contains the basic subjects like Anatomy, Physiology, Bio-chemistry, Pharmacology, Pathology,
Micro-biology, Forensic Medicine, Community Medicine.
MBBS is the course with practical training which is five years long. The students interact with the patient and get the practical knowledge of diseases as the college and the hospital are generally nearby to each other or may resides in the same facilities with different areas specified. MBBS course also contains a year long i.e. 12-month-long internship, in which an intern has to come across various specialties. Besides standard clinical care, one also gets a methodical experience of ward management, staff management, and thorough analysis skills.
The total number of seats for MBBS course at Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, Varanasi, is 84.
Post Graduate Courses at Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, Varanasi
Doctorate of Medicine also known as MD:
Doctorate of Medicine (MD) is a three year doctorate program meant to study medicine in detail. The course comprises of the learning process from the first step of symptoms analysis till the treatment provided.
Doctorate of Surgery:
Doctorate of Surgery (MS) is a 3 years doctorate program which is followed by MBBS. At this course practitioners are given details of how to treat the patients with surgical treatments. This course has practical in its core which is substantial on having practical knowledge of conducting operations (surgeries). This could be termed as general surgery related to different organs of the body i.e. stomach, intestines, appendicitis, etc.
There are 134 seats in 33 specialization/branches. The speciality with number of seats offered in PG MD/MS is provided in the following table:
|S. No.||Name of Subject||Total Number of Seats|
|10.||Dermatology, Vene., Lep.||04|
|11.||TB & Respiratory Disease||04|
|18.||Obst. & Gynaecology||08|
DM (Doctorate of Medicine): This is the course which is advanced and opted by the student after completing his/her Post Graduation in MS/MD. The student after completing this degree course gets a Super Speciality Degree. The Duration of this course is 3 years.
- Ch. (Magister of Chirurgiae or Master of Sugery): It is the highest degree given in the surgical field. This program is also advanced program and opted by the Students after completing his/her Post Graduation in the field of medical.
At Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi there are 17 seats in DM/M.Ch. course having 10 subjects. The details of the subjects with number of seats offered is given in the table below.
|S. No.||Name of Subject||Total Number of Seats|
|2.||Cardio-thoracic and Vascular Surgery||01|
- Sc. Nursing: The School of Nursing at Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, Nursing is affiliated to U.P. State Medical Faculty, Lucknow. The training is provided as per the syllabus of Indian Nursing Council, New Delhi. The Total number of seats offered for this course is 60.
Eligibility Criteria & Admissions Process at Institute of Medical Science,Varanasi:
Age Criteria: The candidate applying for MBBS must attained 17 years of age or above as on 31-Dec of the admission year. The maximum age limit for getting admission in MBBS course is 25 years.
Educational Qualification: All Higher Secondary School qualified their 12th Class in science stream including biology or bio-technology along with Physics and Chemistry with a minimum of 50% marks are eligible(For SC/ST category 40% marks is required in board exams; 45% for OBC Category)
Admission Process: It is necessary for medical aspirants to appear for the National Eligibility and Entrance Examination (NEET) conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) after 12th class who wish to get MBBS admission. All the Government, Private, Central and Deemed Universities will be based on NEET scores and the seats for all colleges / institutions / universities will be offered through counselling based on the eligibility Score/Rank, Preferences of colleges and seats available.
For Post Graduate Courses (MD/MS):
- Students who hold MBBS Degree and are registered to Medical Council of India are eligible to apply for admission to MD, MS
- For MD, MS the eligible candidates is given admission on the basis of their merit in NEET-PG.
For Post Graduate Courses (DM/M.Ch):
- Students who hold MD/MS Degree and are registered to Medical Council of India.
- For DM/M.Ch the eligible candidates is given admission on the basis of their merit in NEET-PG.
For B.Sc. Nursing:
Note: The eligibility criteria for the B.Sc. Nursing course are same as MBBS course. The entrance exam is conducted by the Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, Varanasi. The total number of seats available is 60.
Fees for different courses in Institute of Medical Science, Varanasi:
Fees for MBBS Course is Rs. 14874 per year
Fees for MD/MS course is Rs. 13367 per year
Fees for DM/M.Ch. course is Rs. 13367 per year
2019 Cut offs at Institute of Medical Science, Varanasi:
FOR UNDERGRADUATE (MBBS)
|Category||Qualifying Percentile||Cut off scores|
NEET 2019 Cut off for AIQ (All India Quota) Seats
PG (MD, MS) Cut off 2019
|Category||Min Qualifying percentile as per IB||Cut-off Score as per qualifying criteria in Information Bulletin||Revised qualifying criteria||Revised cut off score|
|General||50th Percentile||340||44th Percentile||313|
|SC/ST/OBC||40th Percentile||295||34th Percentile||270|
|Persons with disability (PWD)||45th Percentile||317||39th Percentile||291|
Campus Facilities at Institute of Medical Science, Varanasi:
Lecture Theatres: There are 3 lecture theatres with all the technological availability like Audio Video equipments etc. 1 lecture complex having 4 lecture theatres , 1 conference Hall & 1 Examination Hall.
Library: The library has a huge collection of around 45000 books and 125 Indian and International Journals. There are computers available in library with internet connections to access Web of Science, SCOPUS & SCIENCE. There are 9 reading rooms available all around the Library.
Auditorium: The auditorium is air conditioned with audio video equipments having seating capacity of 300 persons at a time. There is one small hall also available adjoining to auditorium having capacity of 55 persons at a time.
Hostel: There are 7 girls hostel for the doctors, faculty, nurses, etc. There are 5 boys hostels for the doctors, faculty, nurses, etc. There is one more Hostel for Married Doctor’s Hostel. The Hostels are well furnished with all the necessary amenities required for living.
Sports: The College has both indoor and outdoor facilities are provided to the students. The college also conducts annual sports day event to promote athletic events and other physical activities which creates a lively atmosphere in the campus.
Q.1 What is the total number of seats offered for MBBS course atInstitute of Medical Science, Varanasi:
Ans: The total number of seats offered for MBBS course at Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, Varanasi is 84
GLN Admission Advice can help a student in following ways:
- It is a UP NEET rank based admission counselling centre which provides counselling for MBBS, BDS, BAMS, BHMS and Pharmacy.
- If you have a low rank in NEET, you don’t need to provide donation to anybody. Just contact the experts at GLN Admission Advice Pvt. Ltd. and we will help you in getting a confirmed admission.
- GLN Admission Advice Pvt. Ltd. provides guidance and a detailed strategy from the first step of filling up of the application form till the complete admission procedure.
- GLN Admission Advice Pvt. Ltd. helps to clear out all your doubts and confusions regarding anything about your admission.
- At GLN Admission Advice Pvt. Ltd., our experts’ team works really hard to check the previous records of each and every college i.e. the provision of seats at that college according to previous cut-offs. Therefore, you will get to know, which college you get and exactly in which round through the highly precise prediction by our team.
- Even if you have just qualified NEET and you are not having a good score, you don’t need to worry. Just trust on us and we will help you in getting the best college possible.
- We cannot help the students who haven’t even qualified NEET.
- But if you have qualified NEET, we will provide a proper plan for locking your choice, what mistakes to avoid etc.
- GLN Admission Advice Pvt. Ltd. even provides you with all the information and updates such as state wise counselling, opening and closing date of the counseling, when to submit the DD etc.
- GLN Admission Advice Pvt. Ltd. has segregated sections for admission in BDS, BAMS and BHMS.
- If you want to get admission in B Pharma or D Pharma, we can help you with that too. There is no need to appear in NEET exam for these courses.
- Except the Pharmacy courses, students have to qualify NEET whether they want admission in private college or government college according to a notification generated by the Government in 2018.
So, GLN Admission Advice Pvt. Ltd. acts as a guardian who holds the hand of every student seeking proper guidance, till they get a confirmed seat at some medical college of the country on the basis of their NEET score.
If you are interested for admission in this college feel free to contact us by filling all the necessary details in our enquiry form on the right. Our counsellor will contact you within moments.
You can also directly click on the link https://www.admissionadvice.in/Registration to fill our enquiry form.
If you find any inappropriate information or wrongly presented facts, please inform us at-
Email id- [email protected]